1 Basic Plant Design An approved plant must have four distinct sections that demonstrate three principles of
Turbulence, Residence Time and Temperature are inbuilt in the plant design .The
regulated sections may include but not limited to:
Overall plant layout. Feed chamber/ charging
Primary Combustion Chamber. Secondary Combustion Chamber. Particulate Scrubbers
Acid Gas Scrubbers The stack/ chimney.
2 Feeding And Charging Controlled hygienic, mechanical or automatic feeding methods have to be used which
will not influence the air temperature in the primary and secondary chambers of the
No waste is to be fed into the incinerator:
1. Until the minimum temperatures have been reached.
2. If the minimum combustion temperatures are not maintained.
3. Whenever the previous charge has not been completely combusted in the case of batch feeding.
4. Until such time as the addition of more waste will not cause the design parameters of the incinerator to be exceeded.
3 Primary Combustion
Chamber The primary combustion chamber must:
1. Be accepted as the primary combustion zone.
2. Be equipped with a burner/s burning gas/fuel or low sulphur liquid fuels.
Other combustion methods will be judged on merits.
3. Ensure primary air supply is controlled efficiently
4. Ensure minimum exit temperature is not less than 850oC
(Afterburner). The secondary combustion chamber must:
1. Be accepted as secondary combustion zone.
2. Be fitted with secondary burner/s burning gas or low sulphur liquid fuel or any suitable fuel.
3. Ensure secondary air supply is controlled efficiently.
4. Ensure flame contact with all gases is achieved.
5. Ensure residence time is not less than two (2) seconds.
6. Ensure the gas temperature as measured against the inside wall in the secondary chamber & not in the flame zone, is not
less than 1100oC.
7. Ensure the oxygen content of the emitted gases is not less than 11%.
8. Ensure both primary and the combustion temperatures are maintained until all waste has been completely combusted
5 Particulate Removers A mechanical particulate collector must be incorporated after secondary combustion
chamber for removal of particulate pollutants entrained in the flue gas stream. The
particulate collectors may include any of the following or a combination thereof